Friday, August 04, 2006

Letting the Creative Juices Flow!!

Okay, in the words of Shirley Temple, Oh my goodness! I have been given a few opportunities lately to write again. It has always been a deep passion of mine. Creative writing has always been a release for me. Give me a topic, ask me to make something of it, I am there! I have done papers on books for English, written Greek myths for the same, and even did a 2500 word essay on the experience of going through a concentration camp during WWII, from a historical standpoint. I love to write this kind of stuff! I can get outside of myself, and just let my mind do its thing! Let me try to explain my mind a little bit for you...
Take an average sentence, like....How was school today?Okay, its a question actually, but still! My mind dissects the sentence, picking out key letters, like the first h,the second w, the first s, the second h, the l, the t, and the d. My mind keeps them in order, but puts them to a rhythm to make the letters flow. It also tries to put a rhythm to the words, and make it flow as well. So, when I was given an opportunity to write a monologue for Noah to present to our children's church, my mind automatically starts recalling what I know, then trying to put a rhythm, or cadence to it. By the time I finally sat down to write, my mind was reeling. I followed the Bible for my inspiration and information, and let it flow out of me. The result? Almost three pages of prose! I followed an abcb style, where the second and fourth lines rhyme. I shocked myself! I typed it up, and presented it to Mrs. Cyndee to look over. Well, she told me what she thought yesterday........
She loved it! She said it was amazing, and that she could tell I put a lot of hardwork into it! I was elated! I had been so nervous about what she would say. Would she want it shorter, or want to add more verses. What, what, what!!! I just sort of smiled and blushed. We decided to use it as a teaser for the kids for that days lesson. I never actually used Noah's name, my mind could not think of a word that exactly rhymed with that. The kids have to guess who it is about, then we will reeanact the storm, with the kids paired up as animals, masks and all. Two by two of course! It should be fun!
Then, I had a chance the same week to write a skit for the Fall of Man from Genesis 3:1-24. I needed to try to write it for Adam, Eve, and the Serpent. The result? A very amusing mini-play. I again followed information from the Bible, but added more dialogue, and stage direction. Again, something I loved doing! I will try to post both.
It is so nice to be able to express my ideas for activities, and lessons for the kids, and at the same time let my creative juices flow out of me to share with others! Just had to share, it sort of made my week to have my work appreciated! It had been a while since I have been able to do anything like that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are so strong in your faith. Sometimes it isn't easy and but, we tend to make sure we share with others.If there is anything I can do to help let me know. As I taught Sunday school and VBS for children. With dad being the minister IM sure we can help you get creative even more. Log on to my church website the link singles has scripture look up's as well on any topic.www.cbglades.com and check out the links and kidstuff. You'll love it. Hope you'll take time to check it out.
Keep the faith going and glad to hear how your doing and you and Justin getting so involved.
Love you Girl,
Aunt Terry

Nancy said...

You have just started tapping your magnificence! Your exceptional talent comes naturally.